TR6 Oil Pan Gaskets

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Oil Pan Gaskets
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
So I've got my TR6 just about ready to hit the road again.
Many thanks to many people in my club and this list for helping me out.
Seems to run pretty well (installed a used engine) and the recently re-rebuilt
overdrive seems to work very well.
At least while puttering around the neighborhood testing it.

Unfortunatley it has a nasty leak up at the front sealing block.
I had this same problem on the other motor and learned that the threads were
stripped.  That sealing block is a total piece of crap.  They should have just
machined it out of solid stock rather than die casting it or whatever they did
to make it.

Anyway . . I'm curious what people like to use as far as techniques for the
sealing the oil pan.  Does anyone just use silicone and form a gasket?  How's
that work for you?   If you are using the paper gasket (which I do have one of)
what sort of prep / gasket sealer do you use on it.

Scott Tilton
One Triumph or another everyday.
Leesburg, VA