dum-dum dee dum

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: dum-dum dee dum
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:37:59 EDT
Hi Listers,
Here's a few responses to the 'dum-dum' query (what to replace that patch of
sound absorbing hardened goop on TR timing chain covers?):

<< The last time I made a sound deadener I used an gray epoxy that took a
while to set

up (the high strength ones).  I mixed up a bunch of the stuff and "slathered"
it on the front of the cover.  Looked good and wasn't about to come off!
Cheers, Bruce  >>

<< Brushed on asphalt undercoating.  'Spray on' will work but requires
several tack coats. Regards, Joe - FirstTR2 >>

<<  I'd use something like Sikaflex (from Sika Corp), which sticks to metal
very well, and takes paint quite well. It's very flexible, so there wouldn't be
a problem with it de-bonding and falling out due to the combination of
high-frequency vibration and heat cycling.  Cheers. Michael D. Porter >>

<<  Sikadamp 630 (from Sika Corp) may help with what you need.  Its outside
temperature is about what the high temp on the engine should be.  The product
is a 3mm thick elastomeric sheet with a foil liner on the top.  The elastomer
absorbs the sound and bounces it off the liner back into the elastomer where
more of the sound is absorbed. I can't say for sure if it will work for you.
But it's worth trying.  You can purchase it from a company in Florida called
Novicon.  813-854-3235.  Regards, Steve Padgett Sika Corp.  >>

<<  To replace the stuff on the Herald engine timing cover, I just cut a piece

of the "Dynamat" insulation and stuck it on! I figured it was noise

dampening, so what the heck. Works well, looks fine, takes paint (once you

peel off the clear plastic top coating.)  Scott  >>

Anyone know where I can find some damn dum dum?  :-)