Re: In the True Spirit... h8HFgY3B003203

To: anabil@caltel.com (Bill & Skip Pugh), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In the True Spirit... h8HFgY3B003203
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:36:13 -0400
In a message dated 9/17/2003 10:06:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
anabil@caltel.com writes:
> Fellow  Listers,>     I  have  to  tell  you what happened  to Casper, while
>> replacing the throwout bearing (hydraulic) I made the  measurements > but it
> still did not  seem right so I called Herman van  den Akker > for consulting
>advice...>     Folks  this wonderful gentleman, who had just returned  from >
>a weekend  trip loaded  up Himself  and Helen and  drove  the  300 > miles  to
>Wallace  on Tuesday morning!!!>     I  managed  to repay him (a  little) by
>taking Herman and > Helen  to  our favorite restaurant  in Jackson...>     Now
> I  ask  you  is there  ANY  other  vendor/supplier of > parts/whatever,  that
> would  even consider such a thing???   I think > not...Hats  off  gentlemen
>to one  of the true gentle artists of > our hobby...Herman van den Akker...
Not to embarrass him (should he be reading this list), but John Kipping's name
comes immediately to mind! Back in 1985, while he was
then-owner/proprietor/head guru of John Kipping's Triumph Spares in Coventry,
England, John visited the VTR Convention in IL and spent no small amount of
time keeping a dear friend's Herald 948 sedan running.
John has since "retired" and emigrated to New Zealand, but this past August he
came back to the US to attend the VTR Convention & TRF Summer Party...where, as
I understand, he was again "in action" on several occasions to help several
Triumph owners in varying degrees of need. Examples: a. In the absence of
replacement shoes for a front drum-braked Herald, he actually "replumbed" the
one side so that the owner could still drive the car without harming the drum
as a result of one shoe having thrown its lining. b. I was told he also dove
into the engine bay of another badly running Herald -- much to the surprise and
short-lived worry of the owners, and quickly had the car running pretty much as
new! c. He also gave a seminar on the "small car" (Spit/Herald) gearboxes and
overdrives. d. After the Summer Party, he drove up to the Albany, NY, area to
visit me for the day. I could have kept him busy for days with niggling
problems on some of my cars, but I decided NOT to impose on him. ;-)
I know there are others like John and Herman...and thank goodness for that!
Keeps the "hobby" fun and enjoyable and even  bearable for all of us!
--Andy Mace