RE: Old car question, no LBC

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Old car question, no LBC
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:26:00 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8ICWo3B008361
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>I got to thinking about it (after I said it, as usual), and there might be
some old tube radios that might be damaged by reverse polarity.  I believe
the problem could only arise if they used a synchronous vibrator type high
voltage rectifier rather than the more common diode, which would allow
reverse polarity to be applied to the high voltage filter capacitors, which
might not like that.  A lot of 'might's strung together there, but the OP
probably has the right idea : to be safe rather than sorry.
<

The odds that an electrolytic capacitor in a 52 year old radio is still
functional is somewhat iffy as well.

Dave