RE: The ultimate insult...an antidote!

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>, <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The ultimate insult...an antidote!
From: "Vern Catron" <vcatron@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:52:52 -0400 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8JAquF8020825
Owning a 1966 Triumph 2000 Estate in the States is a real hoot. At the Car
Council Charity Show last weekend here in Jacksonville FL I was the only
Triumph auto (1 new bike though). The reaction was shock that Triumph made
other vehicles besides motor cycles and TR's.  Interesting The Jag club knew
exactly what she is and many non-native visitors did also.  The "judges" had
no idea what to classify her as. This show benefited Ronald McDonald House
and had 385 cars 99% American and a lot of bikes.

Vernon Catron MBA/TM
history-buff.org

In a message dated 9/18/2003 2:06:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

> ..."I always thought Austins were made at Longbridge."
> "They were. It's now gone up market and calls itself Rover." "Oh, I
> had a Triumph once. A Herald, nice car. Haven't seen A Triumph for
> years." "YOU'RE STANDING BESIDE ANOTHER ONE - NOW! AT THIS MINUTE!"
> "No, this is an Austin"
> "Do me a favour, mate? What do the badges say front and rear?
> "Er, Triumph at the front and er... Triumph at the rear."
> "So from that info, what do you deduce?"
> "it looks like an Austin to me."...

Perhaps to counteract this story, John, I'll share a brief one of mine from
just yesterday. Having finished my grocery shopping for the evening, I
approached my Herald 1200 in the parking lot and was immediately "chatted
up" by a woman on a motorcycle. She thought the Herald was pretty cool. No
sooner did that conversation end when a man (probably early 40s) approached
me from the other side of the Herald. In an English accent, he pronounced
the car in "rather good nick" and proceeded to wax nostalgic about the pale
green Herald his family had when he was a young child in England. Of course,
he'd not seen one for some time here in the States....

I get this probably 4-5 times a week, minimum. Almost makes me wonder why
the Herald didn't sell better here in the US first time around!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  Triumph
Herald engine with wings.