It's a small world!

To: "1-TR8-list" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: It's a small world!
From: "Odd Hedberg" <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:49:16 +0200
Cc: "1-Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Friends,
the oddest thing happened here yesterday;
Two wedges [that ought to have been raaather close to eachother on
the Canley assembly line in May of 1980] have met again after 23+ y!
One after a tour around significant parts of Europe, the other
one after a tour around significant parts of the globe...

A member of our Club, and friend of mine, have bought a TR7 as a parts
car for his '8.  He was told it was the remnants of an nowadays un-
registered, ex German '79 dhc.  Since he lives in the city of Uppsala
and I live in a much more rural village 75km from the city, we decided
to stash the parts car out here.  So yesterday we parked a bright red
dhc TR7 on the driveway outside my garage. He had been given a VIN by
the seller and I decided to take a closer look at the car to see if
there was any concrete trace of its former identity
- low and behold; under all the paint in the right rain gutter was the
VIN: TPADJ8AT211466.  So I could establish it was in fact a 1980 car.

Waking up this morning it dawned on me this car was only 2 digits away
from my own TR8!?!  I've got TPZDV8AT211468 - and here came ...1466

My '8 have travelled the world; from Canley in Coventry, England via
Liverpool to Los Angeles, and later on to Las Vegas where in '93 it
was purchased by the PO who sent it to Sweden.
...1466 probably left Coventry for Germany where it was purchased by a
PPO in 1999 [?] who sent it to Sweden.
And now they stand less than 5 meters apart in a country where neither
model was ever sold new...  Isn't it a small world?!?
Amazed...
/Odd
PS
Anybody have any additional information regarding this TR7?

I wonder where TPxyz8AT211467 is?  Anyone have any leads on that one?
Maybe I should start a new collecting craze among Triumphisti:
Cars in consecutive CommNo/VIN order...?  ;-)

A side note is I've actually experienced this once before when a friend
of mine owned the Mk3 Spitfire two digits before my own Spitfire;
He had FD82495L and I have FD82497LO...
I wonder what the probability for occurrences like these are?
Any statisticians out there?

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary, TR8-rep.,