sparky (was: ZS needles summary)

To: douglasehamilton@shaw.ca
Subject: sparky (was: ZS needles summary)
From: "rstirb2@townisp.com" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:52:50 -0400 FILETIME=[0CB64200:01C38100] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8MBrKF8021298
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Doug,
   Oh, yeh.  You name the wires, I've had them in there.  Green wires,
bumblebee wires, Bosch wires and now Magnacore racing wires which are the
best ones yet.  But, I still get little tiny sparks going to my fingers
when I touch the wires.  I see them at night with the car idleing in a dark
garage.  Also, I can see, on some of the plugs, a spark ring where the
insulator meets the hex-steel part of the spark plug.  Weird, eh?
   With these wires and the new needles, the car is strong under load, and
the idle is better, but still not as smooth as it should be.
-6K miles on new TRF engine
-rebuilt carbs
-ballast resistor bypass per Dan Masters
-Champion plugs at .035"
-rebuilt distributor with Pertronix
-12V stock coil or Sport coil, 'bout the same
-good grounds
   I'll enjoy driving and keep tinkering.
Regards,
       _Rick   1973  TR6  CF2570U

Re:

Rick,
I would suggest that you look closely at replacing your plug wires if
you where seeing a light show before the the new needles it's only a
matter of time before the wires degrade enough to crossfire even with
the new richer needles.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet
1967 Chev C/10

>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:11:48 -0400
>From: "rstirb2@townisp.com" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
>Subject: summary: ZS needles?
>
>Hi List,
> I called carb guru Joe Curto, and explained the problem my car was
>having. Basically, hard starting, hard to launch, rough idle, hot running.
>I suspected a lean mixture. The plugs read a little lean, too. Joe was
>not surprised. He claims that gasoline is formulated leaner now, than when
>these cars were built.
> Joe sent me two ZS B1E needles as were originally used in Jags. Before
>I installed them, I measured their diameter about 1/4" up from the point,
///snip///

http://mail2web.com/ .