Re: Born for TRs.

To: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Born for TRs.
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:15:34 -0700
Cc: "Paul Brandsema" <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Cc: "Paul Brandsema" <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com>; "Triumph List"
<triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 1:56 PM
Subject: Born for TRs.

> Message text written by "T. S. White"
> >I must have been born for TRs.  I see from the list that there is an
> alternative method for raising the top on a TR3A.  I have always raised
> the bows first and then stretched the top onto the mounting buttons and
> posts with the greatest of effort. ( Think there must be a harder way to
> do it.)
>
> Could someone describe for me the easier way to raise the top, i.e.
> which bow gets extended last?
> <
>
> For unknown reasons I have always erected the bows but left the bell
cranks
> in the down position, affixing the top and then raising the bows to
tension
> the top.  My wife says it is easier than raising the top of the TR6.  Give
> it a try and make your own choice.
>
> Dave Massey
> 57 TR3

Ok, what's a bell crank? If I remember correctly, the method that works best
for me (and I've tried a few) is; 1. Raise the bows but leave the frontmost
and rear most slack. 2. Put the cover over the bows and fasten all the way
around (doesn't require any stretching front to back, it does across the
front and across the back, but not much). 3. Get inside the car and extend
the frontmost bow and lastly the rear most bow.  This way you are using the
leverage of the bows to do the stretching.
YMMV,
Bob