TR3 Driveline

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Driveline
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:41:27 -0400
Hello, Everyone.

I have the body off my '59 TR3A and have completed rebuilding the suspension.
Calipers are rebuilt, wheel cylinders are new, brakes are in (but no brake
lines yet).  OD Type A tranny is ready (bought rebuilt from Mike McPhail in
Texas.)  Engine is next, but awaits sourcing of parts.

So, anyway, in the interim, of the thousand things to choose from, I've turned
my attention to the driveline to replace the u-joints, since after the engine
is done, that would complete the drive train.

On my first close inspection of it, the driveline seems a typical slip-spline
set up and this moves freely enough.  But its end-stopped.  The drivelines in
my not considerable experience were made to come apart just by tugging.  This
one doesn't.  But it does look to have a screw off cap.

So questions:
a)  Does unscrewing this cap let me completely disassemble the drive shaft for
cleaning and inspection?
b)  If so, is there some sort of seal inside that I can't see in the Moss
catalogue?  and
c)  Will I disturb the balance of the driveline if I do take it apart and
don't get the splines exactly lined up again?

Oh, and since I'm replacing the tranny with an OD, is this normal 4 speed
driveline the right one at all?

Terry Smith
TS 58667