Polar Bear IV Results

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Polar Bear IV Results
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:08:51 -0500
I thought I would share the results of the Georgia Triumph 2003 Polar
Bear Run, that Ashford Little spoke of yesterday. Photos are available
at http://www.gatriumph.com/

I must add that this was a great day for Vintage car lovers and the weather
ended up to be just perfect, although it started out to be pretty cold for
us here in the South. For me I had an extra 130 miles each way for I live
further south than most of the participants.  For most live in the metro
area of Atlanta.  In all I logged just shy of 400 mile.

Ronnie

Here are the official numbers from Saturday's Polar Bear Run:

Total (official) cars: 83 - there were also several "support vehicles."

Breakdown:

British - 63 cars
Triumph = 25
(3 TR3, 1 TR4, 13 TR6, 1 TR8, 1 Stag, 1 Herald, 1 GT6, 4 Spitfires)
MG = 17
(1 MGTD, 3 MGA, 9 MGB, 2 MGB/GT, 2 Midget)
Mini = 9
(no New MINI)
Austin Healey = 10
(4 3000, 3 Sprite, 3 Jensen Healey)
Morgan - 1
(+8)
TVR = 1
(2500M)

German - 9 cars:
Porsche = 8
(7 356, 1 911)
Volkswagen = 1
('65 Beetle)

Italian - 5 cars:
Alfa Romeo = 3
(2000 Spider, GTV 2000, Milano)
Fiat = 1
(1500 Spider)
Ferrari = 1
(348 tb - left group before lunch)

French - 1 car:
Citroen 2CV (did not leave Roswell)

American - 2 cars:
Shelby 289 Cobra
Pontiac Fiero

Japanese - 1 car:
Honda S2000

Kit Cars - 2 cars
427 Cobra
Mercedes Benz 1934 SK

GTA MEMBERS present (47):

George Forster - TR3
Ronnie Babbitt - TR3
Ray & Barb Sinclair, and Jennifer - Herald
Mike & Kathy Munson, and Sam - TR6
Bob & Marilyn Bryan - GT6
Bill Williams - TR6
Jim Orr - TVR 2500M
Mark Pruitt - TR6
Bob Kassow and Jessie - MGA, AH Sprite
Mike Hurst, Russell Sanders - Stag
Sue Hurst, Joanna Sanders - TR4
Russ Turner & Pat Sarno - TR3
Steve Cripps and Parker - Mini Cooper, Porsche 356
Adam Freeman - TR8
Tony Lewis - TR6
Shawn Tarleton - TR6
Ashford Little - TR6
Michael Campsmith - TR6
Michael Altomare and Steven - TR6
Ben & Betty Turner - TR6
Jane & Mike McAllister - Spitfire
Judy & Paul Taylor - MGB
Miguel & Vickie Acuna - Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
Michael Glass - MGB/GT
Gary & Lois Wilmerding - TR6
Don & Lea Marshall - TR6
John Drosdick - TR6
Mark & Sandie Hughes (followed in "other" car)
Ken Yokelson (met group at Barbour garage - no LBC)

There was only one breakdown, that I am aware of: the 1984 Porsche 911
Carrera suffered and electrical problem that disabled it about 10 miles
from the end of the tour (AAA to the rescue!).

We used a new system for keeping this large crowd on track, and it
worked very well.  Bob had "corner workers" follow directly behind him
and drop off, one-by-one, at each turn to direct the rest of the cars
to the route.  The last car in the group allowed each worker to rejoin
at the end of the line.  Each car also had a map of the route.  This
allowed the 80+ car caravan to get through the drive without anyone
getting lost.  Good work Bob!

The weather was gorgeous: bright, sunny, and reached well in to the 60s
during the day.

Dick Barbour was a wonderful host, and everyone seemed to enjoy their
visit to his garage.

Thanks to Bob Kassow for planning the drive, and to Steve Cripps for
arranging the visit to the race garage.