Re: top end of the Spitfire gearbox

To: "T L" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: top end of the Spitfire gearbox
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:03:23 -0000
Hi Jim
I am going to assume it is the spit listed in your signature line you are
referring to and say no.
What bits do you wand to change, if it is the synchro rings or bearings, or
the most common cause that I know of for gear selection trouble the front
circlip, then it is a full blown strip down rebuild job.
The selector forks themselves will not be removable without removing the box
and removing the O/D and bell housing to allow the shaft on which they are
fitted to be withdrawn also the detent spring and plunger is under this rod.
There is precious little else rebuildable in the linkage, the three piece
drop link which is most likely to be in good serviceable condition is not
removable as it is on the same shaft as the selectors, this leaves the stick
and its respective nylon receptacle (bush) in the loop on the end of the
selector rod, if this is worn then the bush (if you can get it, I have not
checked availability) could be replaced by just removing the end support (4x
1/2" AF (5/16 UNC) bolts 2 horizontally into the stick housing and 2
vertically into the rear of the O/D) and fiddling it out without dismantling
any more of the box. You would need to remove the tunnel cover to access the
area!

Hope this Helps you! 8-)

Graham.