Re: American Racing wheels in aluminum??

To: nwolf@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: American Racing wheels in aluminum??
From: TBe749@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:32:25 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/4/04 9:57:33 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
nwolf@u.washington.edu writes:

>   Yesterday I acquired a set of five ancient-looking 15x5" 8-spoke
> "Silverstone" or "V387" wheels for my TR4.  Upon closer inspection (in
>daylight), I
> discovered that only two of them are magnesium... The other three are
>aluminum.
>
>   Is anybody out there familiar with these wheels?
>   They look almost exactly like the mag wheels, except that the spokes on
> the aluminum wheels are a little narrower, especially near the hub.  The
> mushroom-shaped indentations between lug holes on the backs of the aluminum
>wheels
> are shaped a little different from the ones on the magnesium wheels, and the
> number stamped there on the mags (61550) is absent.  In fact, there don't
> seem to be any markings at all on the aluminum wheels.
>   Are these just aftermarket copies, or are they something else?  Made by
> American Racing Equipment, or...?  They do have the machined threads for
> "Nokofs" - two righties and a lefty.

Nick

I'm running the aluminum 8 spoke SIlverstones on the 250. I also have some 8
spoke in magnesium. The difference between the two are as you described.
Sounds like you have the real deal. My aluminum wheels are without the machined
threads for "Npofs". They have center chrome looking plastic caps. I had not
noticed the difference vefore.

>   There is a photo on pg. 53 of Richard Newton's "Illustrated Triumph
> Buyer's Guide" showing very similar-looking wheels (minus the black paint) on
> TR3A with the caption, "This is a rare item.  This alloy wheel is an original
> TR3 option."
>   Which leads to my next question... Were there aluminum "alloy" 8-spoke
> wheels before the magnesium ones?  I thought the magnesium wheels were
> introduced on the TR4.

No idea.

>   Tell me I've got something rare and valuable, but not so rare that I'll
> never find a fourth matching wheel (and not so valuable that I couldn't
>afford
> it if I did!).

Just keep looking. It will turn up. Although I have seen more of the
magnesium on cars than the aluminum.

Tom Beaver