Re: GT6 front suspension question

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 front suspension question
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:22:46 -0000
Hi Ken
The problem you describe is caused by the deterioration of, or incorrect
fitting of the rubber shock absorber top assembly. The way it works is that
either there are two metal cup washers with a location pressed in them to
fit into the hole in the plate, or there is a location formed onto the
rubber, either way as the rubbers deteriorate over time the assembly will
become slack and allow the shock absorber rod to make contact with the edge
of the hole slowly but surely the slight movement will saw its way through
both bits.
Definitely bother with either of the following!
I would replace the plates with new or good second hand as a preference, but
if you weld them up carefully,and completely, then machine them down flat
again and re drill the hole in the centre I see no real problem. If the weld
finish is less than flat and complete the edges of any pitting will rapidly
erode new rubbers!
once you have repaired / replaced the platforms fit poly bushes here, as
they will have a longer service interval than the crap that comes with the
shock absorber, possibly lasting for 2 shock changes rather than the typical
2 sets of rubber per shock life cycle!

Graham.