RE: Looking for a TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Looking for a TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:32:35 -0800
> The Buyers Guide says the large mouth is more desirable, and I admit
> I do like their looks a little more - but not significantly.  What is
> the current thinking?

Matter of opinion ... I like the slightly recessed headlights of the wide
mouth but the earlier grille looks more "business-like".

> When did disc brakes become standard?

TS13045 is generally given as the crossover, at the start of the 1957 model
year.  However, I suspect there were some cars built on either side of that
line with the 'wrong' brake parts.  Anyway, there were several thousand
smallmouth cars built with disc brakes.

> Any other significant differences between them?

Guess it depends on what you mean ... I'd call the long/short door
transition (early TR2) significant, as well as the TR2/3 transition.
There's also the elimination of the center brake lamp; and the introduction
of external door handles.  Lots of detail changes as well, especially at
TS60000 when all the body pressings and most electrical connections were
redone.

Randall