penny wise or pound foolish?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: penny wise or pound foolish?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:21:57 EST
Hi Listers,

Anyone have proper SPECS for an 'aftermarket' TR4A cylinder head 'DOUBLE
SPRING SET' (ie; 'free length' dimensions, 'fitted length', coil count, and
'lbs.
of force at fitted length')?

I am converting my cylinder head from 'TR4 Triple Springs' to 'TR4-A Double
Springs' and I happened upon set of new TR4-A style Spring Caps/Double Springs
at local Brit breaking yard for half of retail!

I want to make sure I didn't goof and buy real hard 'racing' TR4-A springs
though.

These new outer springs are coiled clock-wise (looking from top) and have 5
coils not 6.
Free length of outer spring is 2 1/8" (54mm).

I sure hope these are TR4A new 'aftermarket strength' springs, and not 'heavy
duty' racing springs.

Can anyone give me any clues to; coil count, free length, fitted length, and
fitted lbs., of modern TR4A valve springs?

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74