RE: Engine Gaskets/Sealers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Gaskets/Sealers
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:48:22 -0800
> 1)  First, Justin Wagner has a Silicone gasket product for each the valve
> cover and sump.  I'd like to hear from people who have actually
> installed and
> used these, although I seem to remember (though I couldn't find
> them) people
> on the list saying they did work very well.

Terry, I have one of Justin's valve cover gaskets on my daily driver.  It
works very well, although there are a few oddities about using it, like it
has to be cool when you install it or it won't fit.

> 3)  People have talked a lot about sealants for paper/cork
> gaskets.  Silicone
> seems to be the choice.  Permatex blue silicone has always worked
> okay for me,
> but maybe I'm missing something there.  I am particularly worried
> about those
> tiny cork T-gaskets that fit into the front removable block.  And
> of course
> I'm worried about getting pieces apart again when the inevitable repair is
> required.

One of the problems with silicone is that it can form long strings as it's
squeezed out of a joint.  If the strings go inside the pan, they can
potentially block oil passages with disastrous results.

For those cork seals, I use 'classic' Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket (aka
shellac).  For things like pan gaskets, I prefer Hylomar (although Justin's
silicone gaskets should be used dry).

Randall