RE: TR4 gbx damper free

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 gbx damper free
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:42:40 -0800
>     I understand what & the porpoise of the Gbx Damper.      OK, I can
> understand if some one asked this question about the TR250 or TR6
> series, because they had the 6 cyl. engine to work more as a counter
> balance.
>     But what I don't understand is:    Why didn't TRIUMPH use it on the
> TR4/A? It's the same engine & tranny.

This is strictly a guess ... but I've read that they tried numerous
solutions to keep the TR4/A gearshift from buzzing under certain conditions.
My guess is that these weights (which seem to have been installed only on
some cars, including a TR4 with OD that I dismantled years ago) were an
attempt to solve the buzzing problem.  Perhaps they were only installed on
cars that were found to have the problem to begin with ?

And almost certainly, the 6 pot didn't have the same problem.

Randall