Re: Shipping a TR3 / Extreme Conditions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shipping a TR3 / Extreme Conditions
From: "Randall Zempel" <rzempel@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:53:14 -0800
Wayne suggested:
>Drive it and then you can give us a really good "Extreme Conditions" story!
>~ If you survive of course ~

That's exactly my preference--and, it's what I did with my TR4 last fall
when my dad gave it back to me.  Short version of that is:  I bought the car
(needing and engine and transmission) in 1980, joined the Navy and sold the
car to my dad because he couldn't stand to see it hauled off to a wrecking
yard.  He restored the car and drove it for the next 23 years.  He decided
it was time to give it back, so I flew to northern California, and drove it
home to the Los Angeles area.  The TR4 had been well maintained and I had
every confidence the trip would go smoothly.  It did.

However the TR3 in Tennessee has sat in a garage on flat tires for about
twenty years.  I have no idea what it's maintenance was like before that.
And, I haven't the time to fly back, sort it all out, and drive home.  I'm
flying out to look at it this Friday, so my opinion could change...there
might be an "extreme" story in the making after all....

I have received several replies to my original question that all wisely
recommended finding the most reputable rather than the cheapest shipper.
One person sent me a link to a website dedicated to rating car shippers (
http://www.autotransportwatch.com/ ).  Other recommendations were stay away
from brokers...deal directly with the guy who owns the truck.

Randall Zempel