SU trouble

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU trouble
From: BHardySmith@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:01:41 EST
Listers,

I have rebuilt and rebushed the dual 1.5 SU for my 1972 spitfire.  I have had
these carbs on this car and they used to work.  I am looking for some help in
getting them tuned.

I followed the procedure in the Hayne's (made the jet flush with the bridge,
lowered the jet 2 turns).  Wouldn't start.  Got it to run with starting fluid.
 When it runs on gas, it runs at high RPM's (i.e. 2000) and won't come down.
Fuel is leaking from front carb overflow.  Piston in rear carb not as "high"
as the front carb.  I shut down engine.  Will not start back up.  Did not try
starting fluid.

Any suggestions?

Brian Smith