RE: TR6 Transmission question

Subject: RE: TR6 Transmission question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:17:32 -0800
Cc: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I have the TRF parts manual, the Haynes Manual,
> the Bentley Manual and the TR6 Repair Operation Manual and all of them
> state that the thrust washers are the means of adjusting laygear end
> float.

Is that the sentence that says "Reduce excessive endfloat by selective
assembly of available thrust washers and distance pieces." ?  I couldn't
find that in the TRF parts manual ... only in the factory workshop manual.

> If you know where I can obtain a "distance piece" (part #59456 in
> the TRF parts catalogue) that is longer than stock, please let me know,
> as I'm sure that would work also.

Herman van den Akker
2100 Freeman Drive
Frazier Park, CA
661-242-1253
handhvan@msn.com

> Since my original query, I have
> thought that a .005 or .006" washer on the back of the front
> thrustwasher could work also. Anyone done that or something like it??

Here are some comments I saved from John Kipping on another list.  He wrote
this in regards to a GT6 trans, but I don't see any reason the same comments
wouldn't apply to a TR6 box :

> However if you do want to get it right (and I
> might add we never bothered when rebuilding a few hundred), then connect
it
> to a car battery and flash weld some wire onto the back! If you use a bit
of
> old wiring loom the metal globs onto the back of the thrusts very easily.

Randall