Re: * 3A Rear Springs *

To: wayne@brazinski.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: * 3A Rear Springs *
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:15:15 EST
Wayne,

It is definitely possible, and not all that difficult.  I just dropped my
driver's side spring following the procedure outlined in the Haynes manual.  It
will be necessary for you to separately raist and support the axle as well as
the frame to provide sufficent clearance, and you will use a jack to support
the spring until you're ready to lower it after disconnecting the shackle and
front mounting pins.  The only part of the Haynes procedure that didn't pan out
was that the lower shock link connection to the plate could not be "swung out
of the way" after removing the bolt.  There was insufficient clearance between
it and the adjacent frame member.  I just dropped the spring mounting plate
and the shock link came apart from it as the spring was lowered.  If there's a
good challenge to this process it's withdrawing the mounting pin for the
foward eye of the spring.  Again, the Haynes procedure worked out fine, but
then my
pin wasn't rusted solidly in place.

Good luck!

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A

In a message dated 01/27/2004 9:01:47 AM US Eastern Standard Time,