RE: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:43:37 -0800
> One point no one mentioned, using tubes
> in tubeless
> tires will cause additional friction as the tire flexes as they naturally
> do. This added friction will cause a slightly higher tire temperature and
> over time will reduce the tires useful life somewhat. Probably hard to
> measure but it will!

I'm not sure that would apply to a street tire, where life is normally
defined by having the tread wear out.  However, the extra heat does also
reduce the tire's load carrying capacity !  Not likely to be an issue for
Triumphs, but it's definitely a problem for heavy vehicles like trucks (and
Ford Explorers :)

> Another point, if you plan on doing some heavy autocrossing on
> the tubeless
> tires, I and many others recommend tubes!

Care to expound on why ?

Randall