Paints - Various Purposes - longish

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paints - Various Purposes - longish
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:39:59 -0500
Can people tell me the difference between paints for various purposes?

1)  I used POR-15 for the frame.  So far so good.

2)  I've used red engine paint for my block, sump, head, various engine bolt
on parts, and driveline.  (I also used red engine paint for the differential
because, if the TR has to go to the hospital in the future, it should have
shiny new undies.  A view of the finished frame/suspension is available to
look at in the Garagemahall.)  So far so good again.

2)  I've used Rustoleum primer and flat black for air cleaners, fan, fan
extension, and various other bolt on engine parts according to my tasteless
sense of color scheming, and also for the various brackets from under the
dash.

3)  But AHA!  Now for the steering wheel.  What the heck IS a polyester primer
with a catalyst harderner, and how does it differ from regular acrylic enamel
or acrylic laquer or whatever other common options are out there?  Some paints
you can sand?  Some paints wear through faster?

4)  I drywalled my house when I built it, and I refuse to do the bodywork on
this car, so will be taking it some where.  Nevertheless, I don't have a clue
what kind of strong paint to request the body shop use (my Toyota pickup has
about a micron of green pigment over white primer, ugh, unacceptable).

(By the way, for steering wheel rehab, I did soak the wheel cracks in a
continuous mist of marine cleaner, rinsed well, and then kept wet with a mist
of phosphoric acid for four hours, which seemed to clean the tortuous rust
that had formed on the steel rods showing through the cracks in the bakelite.
Then, after rinsing well, blew off the worst of the damness with a hair dryer,
then stuck the wheel in the oven to dry.  After that, I applied JB Weld.  That
stuff is great!  Thanks, everyone! for getting me this far!)