Re: Supercharger for TR3-6 ??? (Part 1)

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supercharger for TR3-6 ??? (Part 1)
From: Joe <supertr6@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:42:10 -0500
Don,

VIS stood for Vintage Induction Systems, a company owned by Peter
Boutcher.  (VIS: 603-964-6062) He produced a limited number of
supercharger kits for the TR-6 and TVR cars.  I believe it all came
about because a doctor in the NE decided he wanted a blower for his TR-6
(see British Car Magazine for the story).  Peter later refined the
original design and sold under 20 of the kits for TR-6 owners.  (Rumor
had it he was going to run another batch if enough people showed
interest, but, don't hold me to that).  The kit consisted of: Eaton 62
supercharger and 2 bypass valves, instructions, heat shield template,
silver heat tape (not enough!), the aluminum manifold, air bypass
collar, throttle linkage, 2 pulleys (large and small), blower mount
brace, front blower mount with tensioner pulley, fasteners, sneeze
valve, acetone cleaner, sandpaper, thread locker, gasket maker, and
gaskets.  What did not come with the kit was the specially built HD-8
carb and the K&N 3 inch air filter.  The carb came from Joe Curto who
knew exactly what to give me.  I believe it was part Jag and part Healey
with a small hole drilled in the butterfly to get it to idle correctly.
Installation was mostly straight forward.  The only real "problem" was
not enough clearence on this car for the bypass collar connection to the
aluminum manifold.  Planed it down and it worked fine.  I had a
professional do the installation and was glad I did.  The system
produces around 5 PSI with the large pulley and 10.5 with the small.
Dyno figures later.