RE: Running Rich, REALLY Rich

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Running Rich, REALLY Rich
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:45:02 -0700
> It has been running rich since
> sitting 6 months at the paint shop.  I've replaced the o-rings on
> the adjustable needles in the Zenith carbs (oil kept
> disappearing), I've replaced the stock float valves with Grous
> jets from TRF,

Personally, getting rid of those gross jets would be the first item on my
agenda !

> adjusted the floats, twice.

Have you tried replacing the floats ?  Or at least comparing their weight to
those of new floats (with a sensitive scale) ?  If memory serves, Triumph
used foam-filled floats on the TR6, which can sometimes absorb modern
gasoline to the point that, although they float without anything attached,
they don't float enough to hold the valve closed.

> The gas pump, original, has a rebuild kit in it, including
> diaphragm.

IMO, one of the little square Facet pumps makes a good spare to carry anyway
... get one and temporarily bypass your original pump.  If the fuel in oil
problem goes away, that's a real strong clue.  The Facet pumps come in
varying output pressures, get the lowest (3-4 psi as I recall).  Last I
looked, they were about $40 new ... got mine on eBay for $10.

Again working from vague memory here ... at idle, a valve closed off the
float bowl vent to the face of the carb and forces it to be vented through
the connection to the carbon canister.  If you've blocked off that
connection, it could easily cause mixture problems.

I assume you've checked the diaphragms for tears and proper installation ...
and that the piston moves smoothly in the cover even with the damper
installed.

Randall