TR3A Cooling - TRF yellow fan kit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Cooling - TRF yellow fan kit
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:42:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi Folks,

The Roadster Factory sells an eight-bladed plastic fan, together with the
necessary bolts, etc, for the TR3/4.  I'm wondering if I can install this
without removing the radiator.

The clearance between the radiator and the Bolt (that accepts the starting
handle) is only 7/8".  The thickness of the new fan is 1 and 3/4".  However,
an interesting article from Moss Tech Tips (unfortunately not on their website
anymore) describes how an owner had successfully removed the radiator from the
top.  During this process the owner had moved the rad back far enough to remove
the fan assembly and hub extension.  I'm therefore thinking I can move the rad
back far enough to squeeze in the new fan.

On a side issue, the new fan has a recess of 1/4" when installed normally, or a
recess of 1 and 5/16" when installed backward.  (TRF actually says that on some
cars the fan has to installed backwards).  The distance between the rad and the
hub extension is 1 and 5/8".  ie,  by my measurements, there will be a
clearance of 1/8" when installed normally.  I'm thinking this may not be enough
- doesn't the engine shift back and forward on it's mounts?

Cheers,  Adrian