RE: replacement voltage regulator for Lucas 16ACR alternator? what next

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: replacement voltage regulator for Lucas 16ACR alternator? what next?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:43:16 -0700
> Does anyone know if a 2-wire voltage regulator can be used on a Lucas
> 16ACR alternator, which previously used a 3-wire regulator?

I don't know Steve, but I do know that there is no way a regulator can
function with only two connections.  There _has_ to be a third connection,
even if it's only ground through a mounting tab.

Which is my recollection of the regulator in a 16ACR that has been 'rebuilt'
:  two wires and a grounding tab.

> I did notice the wiring was a little funky (a couple solder
> connections, and there is no wire connected to the big - (neg)
> terminal), so I'm wondering if maybe the 16ACR isn't original and the
> wiring was modified for something else?

There were several different flavors of 16ACR, some with as many as 6
external connections.  They are considered 'interchangeable', but the wiring
does have to be somewhat modified ...

> Any input would be appreciated! My usual source doesn't have the 3-wire
> regulator, so I'm not sure what the next step should be--

I'm not sure what to suggest here ... my next step would be to make what
you've got work, but that might require some detective work to figure out
what's what.  You might be better off just buying a rebuilt alternator
rather than trying to rebuild your own.

Randall