TR6 Differential breather?

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: TR6 Differential breather?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:55:20 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net i3MD07UP000349
Message text written by "Adam C Beasley"
>I read today about a breather valve on the differential of a Spitfire.
The
author claimed by freeing the breather valve he was able to stop a leak in
his differential.  Does anyone know if there is such a valve on the TR6?
<

If you can call it a valve, it is located at the very top of the
differential near the mating of the two halves off center (I forget to
which side).  It is comprised of a pressed in plug with a small hole and
what looks like a cotter pin.  Since the breezes that flow through the area
can carry both oil and dust up into the vicinity of the valve it is
possible that the valve may be covered over with the special mortar that
the combination creates.  A quick wipe-down with a soft rag will unblock
the valve.  Worth a try.

BTW, my valve was NOT bolcked but the diff still leaked quite a bit more
than I would have preferred (not as bad as the transmission but still bad
enough) so I took the drastic measure of dropping the unit, pulling the
flange and taking it to the local bearing house and ordering in a speedy
sleeve ($35).  I am still in the process of reassembly so time will tell if
it helps.

Good luck

Dave