TR4 rear end: identify the bad sound and win

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 rear end: identify the bad sound and win
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 21:39:54 -0600
My '62 TR4 has had a gentle clonk on change of direction for a couple
years, but this evening on backing briskly out of the garage it had a
horrible clonkety clumpety sound, and though I couldn't repeat the
clonkety sound driving gently forward or back I sensed a woobly feel at
the left rear end, sort of a hesitation or sense of dragging.

I took another car for my errand and when I got back home I jacked up
the back end of the Triumph and spun the rear left wheel forward. It
spun freely -- then stopped cold. Then I spun it backward and then
forward again, without any problem. When I spun the left wheel, the
right one turned in the opposite direction as expected. I went to the
other side and spun the right wheel. The left rear wheel didn't spin.

Then it was time for dinner, then time to put the boys to bed and so
I'll get back to the TR4 in the morning. But maybe these clues are
enough for you? What will I find?

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO