RE: cooling fan once again

To: "Paradise Music" <paradise.71@juno.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling fan once again
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:00:22 -0700
> I have installed my cooling fan per discussion a week or 2 ago.
> I also bought the thermostat kit, complete w/relay.  I have
> checked the grounds, I have istalled the thermostat, rigged the
> hot wire to the battery, the fused wire to the fan's hot lead,
> but I'm not sure where to install the ignigion(yellow) wire.
> What do ya'll suggest?  The hot side of the coil?  the fuse
> pannel on the inner fender?  Thanks a bunch!
> Bryan C. Loy
> 1971 TR6

Although on a 71 you should be safe on the hot side of the coil (according
to Dan M the 71 does not have an external ballast resistor like the later
TR6 do) ... my preference would still be to go to the fused side of the fuse
block, where the green wire(s) attach.

Triumph in their infinite wisdom did not fuse the power to the coil, so if
you tap in there, and ever have a short in the wiring to the relay, odds are
your wiring harness will go up in smoke (if the whole car doesn't).

I see the 71 also had an ammeter (unlike the later cars) ... your "battery"
wire should really go to the alternator side of the ammeter, otherwise the
ammeter will show the fan current as charge, even if the battery is not
being charged.  Not a fatal flaw by any means, but I find it irritating to
have gauges that don't work properly.

Randall