Spitfire head identification

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire head identification
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:44:56 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Thanks to all for the veneering information - the dash is at this moment
being finished, and while it is drying between coats I am looking at the
motor.
I Have a really good cylinder head, looks to have been rebuilt since
everything is spotless, but I am not sure which year this one came off of.
Since the move my reference material is god knows where, so I thought I'd
through this out and see is anybody has info on it -
The head is stamped 515573, and casting number is 307871
I am hoping that it's a later head, because that valves don't have any
hardened seats cut in them for unleaded use - if it is a later head, then
the valves will be for unleaded use - if not, looks like I'll be going to
the machine shop
The engine looks to have been recently rebuilt, the crank having been
ground only .020 under , shot peened and balanced and all bearing surfaces
look very good!  The down side is that it has been bored over .030, but
cylinder walls look to be in perfect shape, even after sitting for about 13
years.  it would appear to have been run very little when the valve that
dropped stopped it's operation (telltale marks on number one piston, but
still looks serviceable)  However, it has a Shneider racing (#12777, grind
128 F10) performance cam in it, which I would love to use, but if I can't
find the spec's (I sent an e-mail to them) I will have to get a re-ground
stock cam -
Anyway, hopefully someone will have info on the head -
Thanks - Trying to get this car done for Triumphest!!
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---