RE: TR3A Gas and Brake Line Recommendations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Gas and Brake Line Recommendations
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:09:44 -0700
> 1)  Gas line:  I did note Randall's suggestion for fuel line:
> "bundy tubing"
> from McMaster - Carr @ $18 for a 25 foot roll.  But I also need the
> compression fittings too.  What size of line and compression
> fittings should I ask for?

>From the tank to the pump is 5/16" od, from the pump to the carbs is 1/4"
od.  For the smaller run, it may be cheaper to buy a brake line (possibly
even with fittings which will have to be cut off) at your local auto parts
store, rather than buying a whole roll from MMC (or JCW).  ISTR there's only
one compression fitting, it's a 5/16" coupling under the car, and you can
buy a replacement coupling from any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's,
etc.).  The compression ferrules are available from the same place.  The nut
(and ferrule) on the pump outlet is a special item, I don't know of a source
for new nuts.  If you're lucky, a regular 1/4" ferrule will work with the
original nut.

> 2)  Brake line:  I don't want to flare my own fittings.  Does
> anyone have a recommendation for a product and source?

I believe both Moss & TRF sell pre-cut and flared brake lines for the TR3A.
You'll have to bend them yourself.  If they don't have it, Rimmers or Moss
UK should.  They're usually supplied in 'Cunifer', which is a softer (easier
to bend) alloy than the original Bundy tubing.  While I believe it's not,
strictly speaking, DOT approved; it's legal in Europe and widely used there,
so it should be OK.

You can sometimes find lines that will work at your local parts store (be
careful about the fitting type even if the threads match, 'British' brake
nuts are different than 'American' brake nuts), but it's rare to find them
in just the right length.  And of course the store will have no idea what
the right length is.

Randall