TR6 Replacement Rack

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Replacement Rack
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:15:11 -0400
Hi folks. I just installed a brand new replacement steering rack in my TR6
last night. It seems a lot tighter than the old one and should be great once
I get things all aligned. It's made by a company called Lacom. One problem
is that it is not quite as original. Rather than a hex bolt plug in the
pinion housing, there is a socket head plug. This means no place to ground
the rack so that the horn works. My thought is to replace the socket head
with a bolt -- hopefully it's not a pipe thread. Before I do this, I thought
I'd check with the list for any similar experiences. I'm not sure what's
under the plug and don't want springs flying out at me or anything. I know
there is a trick where you can mount a hack saw blade such that it contacts
the rack and gives it a ground so that's an option too.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6