RE: TR4's and Judson Superchargers

To: "triumph list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4's and Judson Superchargers
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:48:38 -0700
> I'm talking to someone about a Judson Supercharger from a TR4A.
> I'm intrigued by the thought of adding all that power to my little
> engine. My internet research found a jpg copy of the original
> installation instructions for a TR3, with addendum for the TR4, so
> I'm beginning to understand what its all about.
> I rebuilt my engine three years ago with a street cam, larger pistons,
> and
> a shaved head. The Judson instructions say the unit works best on a
> up to specs stock engine. Do you agree? The main issue seems to be
> compression, but I suppose I could replace the head gasket with a
> thicker one
> to reestablish stock compression.
> Any thoughts?

Compression will be your big problem certainly.  In addition to increased
octane requirements from the pressure, the Judson also heats the intake air
quite a bit (and all the time, not just under boost), which tends to cause
knock.   The other "gotcha" is that the Judson puts oil mist into the air,
which also increases the tendency to knock.

You might want to consider modifying the cylinder head (ala Kas Kastner) to
reduce the tendency to knock.

Of course, with pump gas prices as they are, racing gas doesn't seem so
expensive nowadays ...

Randall