RE: Choppy clutch tests=BAYES_00,USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=ham versio

To: TR list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Choppy clutch tests=BAYES_00,USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=ham version=2.63
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:37:53 -0400
Hi Steve, and others...
   I just went through that exercise, as it was getting scary in heavy
traffic not knowing when the car would launch!   I pulled the tranny
this past weekend and did the following:
Cleaned the front end cover and polished the cone.
Replaced the cross shaft bushings with the longer old-style bronze ones.

drilled and tapped the cross shaft ends and installed zerk fittings.(I
think the cause of the sticky clutch was due to wear here)
Lubricated the end cover cone and throw out bearing.(probably also part
of the problem...?)
installed the new Gunst throw out bearing I've had on the shelf for a
year....which was waiting for just such a time..
  The cross shaft pin was replaced 2 years ago when I also drilled and
tapped an extra bolt through the clutch fork and shaft.
  I finished up at 12:30 AM monday morning and went for an hour long
jaunt.
Finally....smoooooooooth as silk.
  All the above info is available on the Buckeye Triumph's website in
their technical section at:
http://www.BuckeyeTRiumphs.org/index_technical.htm
  I don't make the news, I just report it...
Bad news is- the tranny will have to be pulled.
Good news is- there is a cure.
Good luck,
Kevin Thompson
Cape Cod British Car Club at:
http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/

Steve wrote:
Since rebuilding my car, I seem to have been left with a clutch problem.

First off, pretty much everything about the clutch is new or rebuilt. In

my TR6, the clutch works smoothly when the car is cold and I can't find
fault with it. But when the car heats up, or at least when I use it
quite a bit, it gets 'choppy' for lack of another word. I don't mean
shuddering or anything like that, my problem seems to be in the linkage
or the hydraulics or perhaps some other part of the dis-engagement
system. When I press the clutch, there is sort of an extra resistance,
it feels rough. And then when I let up on it, it almost releases in
jerks making it sort of tricky to start off smoothly.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
Steve