RE: Toe-in Blues

To: "Adrian Jones" <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Toe-in Blues
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:15:56 -0700
> OK, the question is: How does one "shorten" the length of the
> outer tie rods?
>
> The Haynes manual doesn't bother mentioning this - no doubt inate
> knowledge to most folks.
> The Kenneth Ball manual says this can be done by loosening the
> two lock nuts and then rotating the tie-rod tube.
> I can't for the life of me see how this would help - surely the
> distance between tie-rod ends would remain the same.

Trust me ... it works !

The trick is that one of the tie rod ends (can't recall which one offhand)
has left hand threads, so that turning the tube screws both ends in (or out)
at the same time.

Obviously one of the locknuts is left hand threads too, so you need to note
which end is which when you go to loosen the locknuts.

Randall