ring and pinion setup trick

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ring and pinion setup trick
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:42:57 -0400
Listers,
This may be old news to y'all, but I usually learn the hard way, so thought
I'd pass on this nugget in case it's new news to someone.

I just finished completely rebuilding my '64 TR4 rear axle.  All new
everything.  Setting the ring and pinion mesh was a pain, as I couldn't
read the gear mesh pattern very well using blue die marker.  A Web site I
found suggested gear marking compound, which I was able to order from a
local NAPA store.  $4 for a dollup of white stuff in a quarter-sized
container.    What's the lesson here?  Use white grease (the stuff is
probably lithium grease).  Whatever it is, it worked *great*.  The mesh
pattern became instantly clear.

hth someone.

Jim

--