Repaint advice

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Repaint advice
From: "Ian Viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:53:20 +0100
I'm undertaking a full (bare metal) repaint of my TR6 (job started as a few
small repairs!). However, now I've got this far .... wings off etc., I want
to do it right.

Today, wings (in primer) were test fitted to check alignment - no problems
as it was pretty good before. But should I top coat the wings off the car or
top coat the edges, door shuts, door frames etc. then fit and paint the
rest?  Presumably the line of bolts that hold the front wings on were body
colour?  So maybe my latter option is best?

Incidentally, I have discovered that the photographs that came with my car
showing a bare metal respray in the mid-1990s aren't of my car!  I removed
between 9 and 12 coats of paint of various colours.

TIA

Ian Viles (Derbyshire)
73 TR6