TR3A oil pump drive shaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A oil pump drive shaft
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:23:17 EDT
As posted before, I've been experiancing low oil pressure (10-20 psi at idle)
after engine warming, (30-40 psi (at speed ~3K rpm), 70 psi (at cold). This
is independent of oil type and of cleaning the oil relief valve.

I am now hearing a rattle/fluttering type noise which I beleive may be
attributable to the oil pump drive shaft (?key/bushing/shaft?). It is not
evident at
all engine speeds. I would not say that it is loud, but I hear it.

Otherwise the engine is strong and running well. Typically driving regularly
100+ miles per day at highway speeds.

Williams book ("How to Restore ...") seems to descibe this shaft flutter
phenomena well (page 90), however does not provide a procedure for repair, nor
do
the Haynes or Bently manuals.

The questions ...
(1) Does replacing/repairing the shaft, etc require removal of the oil pump
assembly (dropping the sump), or can the work be done from the top through the
dizzie. The shaft in question apparently drives both via the camshaft. Any
recommendation form those who've been there.
(2) Is the Moss replacement shaft of good quality. Is there another supplier.
VB does not list it. Haven't called TRF.
(3) Do my assumptions (as to the source of the rattle/flutter) appear to be
correct?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)