Re: Figure it out!

To: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Figure it out!
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:12:29 -0500
I was off the list last week and missed the thread, but maybe these
comments will be of help.

I make brass shim gaskets for the bottom of the liners all the time. I buy
it by the six inch by six foot roll from McMaster-Carr in Chicago, who by
the way must have the best website and fastest service on the planet. They
have millions of items in their on-line catalog, it's easy to navigate, and
the shim stock I ordered from them last week took only one day to get to my
door. .010 works most of the time for the deck height I wants.

I make them by laying a stock fig 8 gasket on the shim and scribing a line
with an awl. I make them round rings rather than fig 8's also.

I cut them with regular aircraft tin snips. It ain't easy, but it's the
best I've found. I have not been successful in doing it with scissors but
that would certainly give a better cut. It would take pretty good scissors.

Getting the inside cut started is one of the difficult aspects, since you
have to have a hole to start with. I've tried cutting a triangular hole
with a chisel which doesn't work very well, cutting a hole with a hole
punch which doesn't work very well, and using a two-edge sheet metal hole
cutter which also doesn't work very well. I'm still looking for a method
that does work well.

The next problem is getting the inside hole big enough -- seems that I
always have to touch it up with a stone in a rotary tool grinder to get
them on the liners.

Nevertheless, despite all this whining, the last set I made only took about
an hour.