RE: stuck head on TR2

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stuck head on TR2
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:21:40 -0700
> While driving the 54 TR2 over the weekend it developed a miss
> that was traced
> to two of the three exhaust springs on #3 cylinder were broken.
> Relatively
> easy fix but the head is stuck fast.  I spent the better part of
> the afternoon
> tugging, jerking and banging to say nothing of the new language that was
> learned.  I have squirted penetrant down the studs and banged
> repeatedly with
> a block of wood and hammer to no avail.  Don't want to use the rope in the
> spark plug hole for fear of breaking loose the liners.  It is the low port
> head with a TS1297E number.  Any suggestions.

If your goal is to just fix the broken springs, I would suggest holding the
valves closed with air pressure and doing it without pulling the head.  Some
heavy strap (I think what I used was about 1/4" thick and maybe 2" wide) and
some creative work with a big drill and a grinder will make a spring
compressor that hooks under a nut on the rocker shaft stud, and presses down
on the valve spring retainer so you can lift the keepers out with needle
nose pliers.  If the retainer is stuck on the keepers, set a length of 1"
cast iron pipe (or whatever) on the retainer and rap it with a BFH.

I did this a couple years back to install seals on the valve guides, and it
worked out quite well.

I assume you've already tried unscrewing the studs with double nuts.  A
trick I've used when the double nuts slip is to take a regular nut and cut
through one side with a Dremel cutoff tool.  Then clamp it on the stud with
vice grips and turn the stud with them.  Or just take a pipe wrench to them
(and buy new studs).

If that doesn't work, I would suggest going ahead with the rope trick, and
pulling the liners too if they move.  I think it's very unlikely that they
will, they're probably just as stuck in place as the head is, but it's not
that big a deal to R&R them (with the engine still in the car) if necessary.
You'll have to drop the pan of course, and now would probably be a good time
for some new rod bearings...

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, I think I would try to
create a "head puller".  Steel plate, maybe 1/2" thick, drilled to fit over
the rocker studs and drilled and tapped over each head stud.

HTH
Randall