Re: TR4 Gearbox woes

To: pmmacy@att.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Gearbox woes
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:18:41 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
My guess would be the springs in the synchro hubs that push out the ball
bearings that keep the sliding synchro sleeves in place.  I had several broken
ones in my GT6 box.   Do you feel the same amount of resistance on the 1-2
sleeve as on the 3-4 sleeve?
Dave

Listers:
  Here's one for all you Gearbox Gurus.  I have a TR4 gearbox that pops out of
second
gear when decelerating.  I have it out of the car and apart, but can't find a
smoking
gun.  Here's what I do know:
     1.  The shift fork doesn't show any wear, and mics to the same thickness as
a new one I bought to put in.
     2.  The clearance between the syncro ring and 2nd gear is .025", not 'as
new', but I've seen worse.
     3.  The small "dog" teeth on the syncro and 2nd gear both look good
with minimal wear and tear.
     4.  End float of the 2nd & 3rd gear bushes on the mainshaft is within
tolerance.
What am I missing here.  I sure don't want to put this back in the car and have
the same problem.  I'd feel a whole lot better about this if I'd found something
broken!
- --
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH