TR4's first outing

To: McRuss <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR4's first outing
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:18:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i7HCL1t2012348
Message text written by McRuss
>Oil pressure was 50 on the way out (to the monthly local TR club meeting)
on the freeway at 50-60 mph.  >At idle it was about 20-30.  After setting
for about 2 hours, on the way back pressure dropped to about >30-40 at
highway speeds, still 20-30 at idle.  I'm running 10-30 Castrol.  I have no
idea how many miles are >on the engine but it does not burn oil and sounds
tight.  Should I go to a heavier weight oil?  Oh, ambient >temps in the low
80s or high 70s tonight.

Pretty good pressure for 30W oil.  Change to 20W50 and your pressure will
be more typical of these engines.

 <snip>

>Clutch is grabby...difficult to get under way in 1st gear from a stop with
out a lot of chatter and lurching.  >Good pedal, no problem shifting, etc.
I suspect contamination...could it be from a rear main or?  No leaks >(in
that area anyway!)

Probably a glazed flywheel.  I suspect you haven't had the flywheel turned
recently.  Makes a big difference.  I suggest that whenever the clutch is
changed.  Costs about $20 - 25.  Well worth it.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: