RE: Inner Tube Note

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Inner Tube Note
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:43:18 -0700
You might want to reconsider using corn starch (or any baby powder that
contains corn starch) on your inner tubes.  Corn starch contains little
husk fibers that can work their way into rubber like tiny splinters and
cause eeny teeny holes.  That is the reason we are allowed to use only
special dust on our high voltage rubber gloves.  Much more expensive
than baby powder, but when the stakes are high...

Also, a friend went through several cheapo tubes with (then) brand new
Michelins before taking someone's advice and shelling out for heavy duty
tubes from Moss - no trouble since.  Much more expensive, but again,
when the stakes are high...

Just my two cents worth.
Dennis

Another technigue for preventing chafing of the inner tube is to
sprinkle baby powder or corn starch in the tire before mounting the
tube.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: