RE: rear oil seal

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rear oil seal
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:52:09 -0500
>BTW, there has been a lot of grief over how to modify the crank for the
>"high tech" seal, and once you do, you can't go back unless you replace the
>crank.  I would be VERY careful to get the dimensions right the first time.
>Our local club president used the dimension that Moss gave her, and her TR4
>with "high tech" seal leaks far worse than I've ever seen an original seal
>leak.  Moss admitted the dimension was wrong, but refused to do anything
>about the damaged crank.  I doubt any of the other vendors would either.
>
>Randall

This is exactly the problem I experience. The whole seal / spring
arrangement seems to be slightly too large. I have best success grinding
the seal diameter to 2.525 and shortening the spring by about 1/4". Not
only does Moss seem unaware, but the manufacturer, with whom I have talked,
refuses to acknowledge any shortcoming.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: