RE: TR4 shock conversion

Subject: RE: TR4 shock conversion
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:59:26 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> >Which is why I am a bit mystified that there does not seem to be
> a [tr4] version
> >for sale.  There are front and rear versions for Midgets and MGB cars.
>
> Perhaps Blind Moose just hasn't seen the market.  ;-)

That may be closer to the truth than you think.

The leaf spring TRs had much stiffer shocks to begin with than the IRS cars,
plus they get an extra dose of damping from the friction in the leaves.
They really don't need more rear shock, except perhaps on the race track.
And even if you do want more damping, it's easy to do by changing the valves
and/or oil.

Another problem is that on the TR2-3, it's a really tight squeeze between
the tire and frame.  Not much room for a shock and arm to connect it to.

I have seen tubular conversion kits for TR2-4 that bolt into the body ... I
suspect that no reputable vendor will carry these any more.  They're a
recipe for problems.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: