Re: WIPAC headlights?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WIPAC headlights?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:40:09 -0700
There have been a lot of replies talking about using very high
wattage bulbs.  I would like to suggest using ultra-white (e.g.,
PIAA) or something with a very little blue.  There are two reasons,
first scotopic vision response curve (what we use at night), is
shifted toward the blue end of the spectrum.  Also, as we age the
yellowing of our lens also tends to push the response curve toward
the blue end.

I used to run high output (90/115W) bulbs in my 911's H-4 lens. Then
I shifted to 50/55W ultra-white (a narrower band,shifted toward the
blue) and with my old 50-something eyeballs the luminance appeared to
be just as good - but without the need for extra relays for the big
draws of electric.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
5483 W Potter Dr