Re: Tonneau snaps for TR4A door

Subject: Re: Tonneau snaps for TR4A door
From: "Francis L. Precht" <fprecht@frostburg.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:07:03 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On my '65 TR4A #CTC 62027L the snaps are held in place by rivets.
On a replacement door I recently got (crunch - don't ask) that had the
'early' wide mounting for the checkstap (i.e. 'old' style checkstrap pre
#22343CT) the snaps are screwed on with phillips heads.
So, me thinks that the change along the way idea may hold merit.
As a suggestion, if you cannot get to the inside of the door to
accurately locate the old holes, you might want to consider drilling
from the outside with the window glass up; then slide your hand (or a
small lesser aged 'helper' with tiny hands - I can lend you one of mine)
with washers, then use rivets.  The washer on the inside should help
distribute some of the stress when pulling on the snap to remove the
tonneau without (hopefully) cracking the body filler.

If you like the look of the phillips head, how about using bolts,
washers, nuts instead of the rivets.  Again, the washer may help to
reduce filler cracks.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: