Re: Cleaning Electrical Parts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Electrical Parts
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:08:53 -0400
> Does anyone offer any suggestions on a good solution or product
> for cleaning electrical parts, namely the innards of the windshield
> wiper motor?
>
> I got mine apart today and outside of a break in the field coil assembly
> body (damned plastic) it appears as if it could use a bath.
>
> Also, does anyone have a good method for removing rust?
> Peace be with you!
-----------------------------------
Guy,

I just finished rebuilding the wiper motor on my TR3A.  I used standard
degreaser (Simple Green) for the non-electricals, regreasing the plastic
gear with silicon grease.  I asked the same question you did about the
electricals, and Randall mentioned that even electrical contact cleaner
contains solvents that would eat up the shellac used on the motor windings,
so best just to leave them alone.  If you need to replace your brushes,
they're a standard size you can get at about $10 savings at your local
well-stocked hardware store.  Slip your (commutator?) into a drill chuck and
give it a light wet emery paper lick.  The copper didn't seem deep on mine,
so don't overdo it.

As for rust removal, on non-sheet metal parts I've had good luck with a wire
brush on a bench grinder, a wire wheel on a drill, and using degreaser
followed by phosphoric acid to neutralize rust and kinda pickle the metal
against future rust.  I don't know about body work...and I don't want to.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body off, rest mostly back on.)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: