RE: Thrust (T/O) bearings (long)

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thrust (T/O) bearings (long)
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:18:24 -0500
> "what goes around, comes around"? Perhaps clutches and their associated
> components of the type we've become accustomed to since the 1960's aren't
> all they're cracked up to be and a reversion to non-diaphragm
> variants with
> carbon block thrust releasers would be a better choice as an O.E. fitment?
> Certainly, users will discover muscles in their left legs they never knew
> they had!
>
> Jonmac

I had a 1984 Audi 4000 Quattro that lasted 285,000 miles before the clutch
failed, and that included teaching both my daughters to drive a car with
manual transmission.  I have no idea what kind of T/O bearing it had,
because I sold the car, sans operating clutch, to an ice racer.  I do know
that the old carbon T/O bearing as fitted to my old BMC A-Series engines was
very reliable.  I never had a problem with one.

Michael Marr
Naperville, IL
1960 TR3A

Check out the new British Cars Forum: